Culture is Key
At the Markens Group, we live by a set of 14 fundamental behaviors. Our “values in action,” we consider these behaviors essential in our service to associations and our community at large.
1. We are friendly, kind, and empathic and give each other the benefit of the doubt. We say, “good morning,” “please,” and “thank you.”
Ben says, “It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”
2. We do our best every day. We are personally accountable and don’t make excuses.
3. We foster teamwork. We can always count on our teammates to support and defend us.
4. We always do the right (fair) thing and look for win-win solutions.
5. We find a way to say “yes” or “yes and” with both external and internal customers.
Ben says, “I prefer to use “and” instead of “but” whenever it sounds okay.”
6. We have fun, laugh, and celebrate milestones and successes.
7. We are results-oriented.
Ben says, “Don’t confuse activity with results. Work smarter, not harder.”
8. We complete tasks on-time or ask for help if we can’t get it done.
Ben says, “Never worry, it’s done.”
9. We work collaboratively to anticipate problems and solve them proactively.
10. We are relentless at providing excellent client experiences.
Ben says, “Our goal is to give all clients the white glove treatment.”
11. We create and re-evaluate processes for successful events and projects.
12. We encourage creative problem solving and strategic thinking.
Ben says, “I feel that team members on the frontline have the best ideas for fixing processes and problems. As much as possible, we should try to find the root cause of problems”
13. Improving is about getting better, not determining blame.
Ben says, “Everyone makes mistakes. It’s how we correct them (accept responsibility and do the right thing) and what we learn from them that matters.”
14. Direct and clear communications are imperative to team cohesiveness. We encourage respectful, honest dialog directly with our colleagues.
Ben says, “Clarity and communication are the antidotes to anxiety and uncertainty. We can disagree without being disagreeable.”
15. We serve our communities.
Ben says, “We encourage our team to give and give back to the communities in which they live.”